If you’re researching the different types of privacy fences, then one of the decisions you will need to make is which kind of material to use. To help you make your choice, here are some facts about the different options available:
Wood is perhaps the most popular choice for alltypes of privacy fences – and with good reason. It offers advantages like these:
- Affordability – wood is fairly inexpensive, making it a good choice for those on a budget. It also offers great value for its cost, with long-lasting beauty and durability among its many benefits.
- Options – wood also comes in a wide variety of styles, from simple dog-eared pickets to highly stylized combinations of solid and lattice patterns.
However, wood is vulnerable to insects and weather damage, especially when it’s not properly maintained.
Vinyl or Composite
Vinyl and composite decking offer a number of advantages over other options, making them a good choice for all types of privacy fences.These include:
- Durability – vinyl and composite decking resist the effects of rain and are impervious to insects, making them an excellent long-term choice for fencing.
- Ease of maintenance – vinyl and composite decking are easy to care for. Simply hose and scrub them off when they collects dust or dirt. They also stand up very well to long-term exposure to the sun and never require repainting or refinishing.
- Cost – when compared to the benefits they offer, vinyl and composite are remarkably affordable, especially in the long term.
The primary drawback of vinyl and composite decking, at least in the minds of some people, is that some varieties do not have the natural look of wood, stone, or other materials, though some are molded with certain patterns to match different materials. The style of vinyl or composite decking is purely a matter of personal preference, however.
Stone is an outstanding choice for a fence or wall. Its benefits include the following:
- Stone can endure for centuries – one famous example is Hadrian’s Wall, which is still standing after almost 2000 years. Though that example may be a little outrageous, the simple truth is that stone is an excellent long-term investment.
- Stone is beautiful – it flatters all types of homes and property.
- Stone is solid and secure – no other material, with the possible exception of iron, is better at deterring trespassers.
Erecting a stone wall is not cheap. Stone masons are highly skilled craftspeople, and the labor-intensive nature of the work adds significantly to its costs. Using engineered stone or prefabricated “stone” panels can help to mitigate the costs, but most people find that these materials lack the beauty and variety of natural stone.
Chain link is not the first material that comes to mind when considering the various types of privacy fences.However, it can be an excellent choice for this purpose. It offers advantages like these:
- Affordability – chain link is the most affordable of all types of fences. Chain link is manufactured in great quantities at state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities, making its cost quite reasonable.
- Privacy – chain link can easily be fitted with vinyl slats, which makes it an excellent choice for blocking views of your property. The additional fees for adding these slats is usually minimal.
- Strength – chain link is made from steel, making it highly resistant to intruders and weather. It is also an excellent choice for keeping dogs or other animals on your property where they belong instead of roaming around the neighborhood.
- Appearance – new types of chain link can be coated with vinyl in a variety of colors, brightening the way it looks and adding to its weather resistance.
For those who appreciate its looks, and who want a premium fence at a not-so-premium cost, chain link is one of the best types of fencing available.
Confused About the Different Types of Privacy Fences? We Can Help.
American Fence & Deck offers expert advice about all types for fences, along with free estimates and outstanding customer service. Call us today to find out more.